Monday, April 22, 2013

UK Candy bar cake - Toffee Crisp

Okay, so in one of my earlier posts (containing lion bars and toffee crisps from the UK), I posted a link to a blog containing a recipe and ingredients for a Toffee Crisp Candy bar Cake.

On my birthday, I decided to make it for myself! (That's what happens when you turn 22, you start making your own birthday cakes)  Except, instead of using the ingredients from the blog, I Americanized it to make it easier to locate the ingredients (and cheaper!)

As a reminder of what my previous post said about it:

"Back to the Toffee Crisp, if you're feeling super adventurous, I found a recipe for a giant Toffee Crisp chocolate bar, that could double-function as a cake. In this case, it was a birthday cake somewhere in the UK. Let me translate really quick what ingredients you could use here:

1. 5x200g Tesco value choccy bars = 5 cups chocolate chips
2. 1 box rice snaps= 1 box rice crispies
3. 1 bag of Tesco toffee = 1 bag Brach's Golden Butter toffee candy and 2 bags toffee chips
                                 UPDATE: 1 bag toffee chips, and 1 bag of caramel squares.
**Anytime she says to put in 1 melted choccy bar, that's one cup chocolate chips

Here's the link:
http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project/212/2
Happy Eating! ♥♥"

Except, I ran into a few problems while making the cake. So, I'd like to ammend the instructions a little bit to make it easier. You can see my update to the ingredients. I'm not trying to stray from what a real Toffee Crisp tastes like, but the melted  toffee candy went right back to being hard as a rock after being melted and then frozen.


I chose to use name brand chocolate chips, name brand toffee bits, werthers original, with western family Crisp rice. 'Cause I'm cool like that. (and the chocolate chips were on sale)

 
 So I melted the first batch of chocolate chips with my babycakes chocolatier, because I haven't tried it out yet. And I recommend it. I bought this chocolatier for 2.63 because I had a 5.00 off coupon + 20% off at Kohls! (It was on sale, too! Originally 14.99)
Now, the blog said to paint a layer of wax paper inside a breadpan.  This is way harder than it looks, as the paper does not stay put! I had to tape it down! My coworker Brittany, however, suggests that you paint the paper before putting it in. Great idea!
Next, I melted down the Werther's originals.  They got all bubbly and looked weird, so I was scared I would burn it. But, it melted alright, it was just realllllly sticky. (use caramel next time and save your teeth from the worry of biting into a layer of these!
Then, we added a layer of chocolate,
a layer of melted melted toffee pieces (Heath bits) mixed with Rice Crispies.
and another layer of chocolate

between any layer of melted stuff, stick in freezer for about 10 mins
After those layers, add a layer of chocolate mixed with the Rice Crispies
Freezer
Another layer of chocolate
Freezer

YOU'RE DONE!
Now, when you eat it, it shouldn't be too hard to cut if you thaw it and use the new and improved list of ingredients! It tastes like a toffee crisp! Only HUGE! :)  Blake says it tastes like a Kit Kat, and I can see that, too!

Enjoy!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment