Monday, March 4, 2013

Zagnut, Chic-O-Stick, and 5th Avenue

This post is about something that I absolutely love....and that is peanut butter!!! Mix it with chocolate, and it's like heaven.  That's what brings me to my current favorite candy bar (Mostly because a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup is too cliche to be my favorite):

The 5th Avenue bar
This currently holds the highest slot in my billboard of favorites right now because of the crispiness of the peanut butter.  It really has a crunch that leaves regular, silky peanut butter wondering what happened to the world. But really, crunchy flaky peanut butter is where it's at in my book these days (and since these candy bars are all vintage, back in "those" days as well!)  Basically, the chocolate provides all the smooth milky texture, and then the crispy peanut butter in the middle leaves you begging for more! When these were in stock at the store, I bought all of them over the course of a week.  They don't last long in my hands, either!

You know what these 5th avenue bars are?  They are a silky chocolate covered Zagnut Bar:

The only real difference between the inside of the 5th avenue, and the Zagnut (that I can tell) is that the Zagnut bar has a thin layer of coconut shreds toasted onto the top.  The actual coconut flavor is not very strong, however, and I love this candy bar, even though I'm not too thrilled about coconut treats.  So, the 5th avenue and the Zagnut are so alike they are only really discernable because of the smooth chocolate layer over the 5th avenue bar.  So tasty! Sooo good!

When it comes to Chic-O-Sticks, I haven't made up my mind as to whether they are just exactly like a Zagnut, only crispier, or if the actual taste is slightly different, but the Chic-O-Stick is definately a classic and wonderful treat.


I'd say these 3 candybars are more alike than any other vintage candy bars I've tried. They're like Vintage Triplets. :) Try them for yourself and see if you can tell the difference!!!

4 comments:

  1. Does Butterfinger not count as vintage? I would say it's closer to 5th Avenue than Zagnut is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, with the chocolate layer on the outside. The zagnut does seem to be more flaky, like The 5th Avenue, whereas Butterfinger has a tougher, thicker crunch, in my opinion. I think they are too close to call in this case 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, with the chocolate layer on the outside. The zagnut does seem to be more flaky, like The 5th Avenue, whereas Butterfinger has a tougher, thicker crunch, in my opinion. I think they are too close to call in this case 😃

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually love Zagnut I don't think Zagnut and Fifth Avenue are the same
    Zagnut has a softer kind of peanut butter and is sweeter than the peanut butter in 5th ave

    ReplyDelete