Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Trip around the World!...or SLC ♥

Yesterday was President's Day, which means no work for Blake and me! :) :)  We decided to go up to SLC and look around a bit at the cool stores they have there.  We stopped in at a store named Souties.  This is a specialty South African bakery and goods store.  Because we're going to visit Capetown and Port Elizabeth in October, we thought it would be extra fun to see some of the African candies they might have over there.  However, we went, and they were out of stock of almost everything and awaiting shipment.  We did, however, get to see the boxes of many of the different things they carry, and are SO excited to go down to South Africa and try them out for ourselves!

One of the candy bars that Souties carries is also at Blickenstaff's:

the Cadbury Flake:

This is a pretty fun candy bar to eat, although it comes off as kind of dry to me.  We've had a few South African guys come to the store and buy them.  They say that in South Africa it's popular to put these flake bars down the center of a soft-serve ice cream cone and then eat it with a spoon.  However you eat it, they are definitely exotic and fun.  However, on taste, they're nothing super special. 

I actually like the taste of Twirl bars slightly better:

Twirl bars are basically the same thing, but with an outer layer of smooth cadbury over the top to bring more moisture to the chocolate bar.  (Plus it comes in 2 so you can share!)  However, I think the twirl detracts from the unique texture of the Flake.  It's a give-and-take situation.

We also had the chance to visit a store named Pirate-O's.  I've heard nothing but good things about this exotic goods store.  However, when I went in to have a look around, I found their workers to be unhelpful and one of them was quite rude.  They had a really great selection, but I'm hoping to find a different shop to go to next time.  Maybe the World Market?  The best thing about our trip to Pirate-O's was most definately the candy bar we purchased there:

A Toffee Crisp Bar:

 This is a delicious candy bar!  First off, I LOVE toffee.  So, any chance I get, I try anything with toffee in it.  However, I was surprised even by how much I liked this candy bar.  It reminds me of a Lion bar.  They are almost identical in taste, although the toffee crisp is a little creamier, and the Lion is a touch more savory.  It makes your mouth water like crazy.  Both of these are excellent candy bars.

Any chance you have to try either of these, I highly recommend it.  


After eating some candy, we stopped over at Tracy Aviary to take a look at the birds.  The Owls are adorable. Back to the Toffee Crisp, if you're feeling super adventurous, I found a recipe for a giant Toffee Crisp chocolate bar, that could double-function as a cake. In this case, it was a birthday cake somewhere in the UK.  Let me translate really quick what ingredients you could use here:

1.  5x200g Tesco value choccy bars = 5 cups chocolate chips
2. 1 box rice snaps= 1 box rice crispies
3. 1 bag of Tesco toffee = 1 bag Brach's Golden Butter toffee candy, or 2 bags toffee chips

**Anytime she says to put in 1 melted candy bar, that's one cup chocolate chips

Here's the link: 
http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project/212/2
Happy Eating! ♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment